Chulkov Valeriy Aleksandrovich, Doctor of engineering sciences, professor, sub-department of computing machines and systems, dean of the faculty of extramural education, Penza State Technological University (1a Baydukova lane, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The article investigates phase comparators for adaptive synchronization and data recovery devices during data transmission through the communication channel, including after the "freezing" in the storage device. The subject of research is the phase comparing discriminatory characteristics and the variants of circuit implementation thereof. The purpose of the study is to optimize the choice of discriminatory characteristics forms and to develop phase comparators of increased efficiency, providing both fast synchronization mode and high dynamic accuracy.
Materials and methods. The study of the main characteristics of the class of comparators with PWM phase mismatch representation was performed using the statistical linearization method, the mistracking analysis, methods of digital electronic circuits synthesis.
Results. The authors showed the advantage of the sawtooth discriminatory characteristic, developed the dual-mode phase-frequency comparator circuits that have such a characteristic and provide fast broadband capture and accurate synchronization at tracking mode.
Conclusions. Comparison of different forms of phase comparison discriminatory features by timing accuracy and mistracking probability criteria allows to prove the advantage of the sawtooth waveform characteristics and to offer technical means of implementation thereof.
1. Shakhgil'dyan V. V., Lyakhovkin A. A. Sistemy fazovoy avtopodstroyki chastoty [Systems of phase-locked-loop frequency control]. Moscow: Svyaz', 1972, 450 p.
2. Gardner F. M. IEEE Trans. on Communications. 1980, vol. 28, pp. 1849–1858.
3. Leonov G. A. Avtomatika i telemekhanika [Automatics and remote control]. 2008, no. 9, pp. 33–43.
4. Dolgikh M. S. Radiotekhnika [Radio engineering]. 1982, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 33–36.
5. Obrezkov G. V., Razevig G. D. Metody analiza sryva slezheniya [Methods of mistracking analysis]. Moscow: Sovetskoe radio, 1972, 239 p.
6. Kaplanov M. R., Levin V. A. Avtomaticheskaya podstroyka chastoty [Automatic frequency control]. Moscow – Leningrad: Gosenergoizdat, 1962, 320 p.
7. Nesvizhskiy Yu. B. Radiotekhnika [Radio engineering]. 1965, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 36–45.
8. Zhodzishskiy M. I., Sila-Novitskiy S. Yu., Prasolov V. A. Tsifrovye sistemy fazovoy sinkhronizatsii [Digital systems of phase synchronization]. Moscow: Sovetskoe radio, 1980, 208 p.
9. Certificate of authorship USSR 866698, MKI N 03D 13/00. Frequency-phase detector. Chulkov V. A., Glybovskiy A. D. No. 2648788/18-09, appl. July 21, 1978; publ. September 23, 1981.
10. Patent of the USA 4322643, MKI H03D 13/00. Digital phase comparator with improved sensitivity for small phase differences. Preslar D. R. No. 06/144053; appl. April 28, 1980; publ. March 30, 1982.
11. Patent of the USA 6121846, MKI H03D 13/00. Digital phase comparator without dead zone Preslar D. R. No. 09/321033; appl. May 27, 1999; publ. September 19, 2000.
12. Certificate of authorship USSR 1688382, MKI N 03D 13/00. Digital phase comparator. Kuz'min V. A., Chulkov V. A. No. 4748303/09; appl. October 11, 1989; publ. October 30, 1991.